Bacon Weave Pecan Pie
Leave room for dessert, and make room for a new family favorite with this delicious masterpiece - the Bacon Weave Pecan Pie.
- 1 ¼ cup plain flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 8 tbsp cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 3 tbsp (or more) of very cold water
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 ¼ tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup coarsely chopped toasted pecans*
- 1 cup toasted pecan halves*
- 16 oz. Farmland® Hickory Smoked Classic Cut Bacon
- * Pecans can be toasted on a baking sheet for 15 minutes in a 350°F. oven.
- Combine the flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade attachment. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse sand and the largest butter pieces are no bigger than peas. Add the cold water a little at a time and pulse until the dough just comes together. You may require extra water. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough and line the pie tin. Trim the overhang even with the pie rim and crimp the edges decoratively. Refrigerate for 30min, until firm.
- Preheat oven to 375*F and position a rack in the lower third of the oven. Line the chilled pie with parchment paper and fill with pie weights. Bake until dough no longer looks wet, about 20mins. Remove the weights and parchment paper and continue to bake 10 minutes more until the crust is lightly golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Lay the bacon strips onto a plate covered in multiple layers of paper towels. Microwave on high for approximately 13 minutes until very crispy. Dab the bacon with paper towels throughout the cooking process. Remove the bacon from the microwave and cut into very small pieces. Squeeze out any remaining excess grease with paper towels.
- To make the filling: Preheat the oven to 325°F. In a bowl, stir together the sugar, corn syrup, melted butter, eggs, vanilla, salt and pecans. Mix in bacon. Pour into the prebaked pastry shell and place pan on a baking sheet. Weave the bacon into a lattice on top of the pie. Cover the edges of the pie with aluminum foil to prevent burning.
- Bake for 45 - 55 minutes until the center is slightly soft to the touch and the edges are set. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for 30 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.