TOMATO BASIL SOUP with BACON
Winter will soon come to a close, but it’s not gone yet – which is good, because that means more chilly days to warm up with Tomato Basil Soup with Bacon. Here’s our recipe:
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Serves: 5 servings
- 5 strips of Farmland Lower Sodium Bacon cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped sweet yellow onion
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 (14.5-oz) cans no salt added diced tomatoes
- 1 cup fat free reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- Cook bacon in large sauce pan until crisp; drain. Carefully remove all but 2 teaspoons grease from saucepan. Add onion and corn; sauté until browned and tender.
- Stir in tomatoes, chicken broth, garlic and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Stir in basil; remove from heat.
- Use immersion blender to puree soup in saucepan, or pour into blender and puree. Serve topped with bacon and additional fresh basil, if desired.